Doctoral Programme in Mangament(Ph.D)
Doctoral Programme in Management
Master’s degree (or equivalent) in the respective/allied subject with at least 55% marks in aggregate or its equivalent grade. A relaxation of 5% of marks, from 55% to 50%, or an equivalent relaxation of grade, may be allowed for those belonging to SC/ST/OBC (non-creamy layer)/differently-abled and other reserved categories of candidates as per the decision of the University Grants Commission (UGC) from time to time.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates can submit filled-in application form by downloading the form by visiting website and paying requisite fees.
Candidates will be shortlisted on the basis of a selection test, called URAT and a Viva-Voce Examination. UGC-NET (including JRF) / UGC-CSIR NET (including JRF) / SET / SLET / GATE/ Teacher-fellowship holder may be granted exemption from URAT.
Duration of the Programme:
The approximate duration of the Doctoral programme shall be for a minimum duration of three years, including course work and a maximum of six years. The first one semester or two semesters will be spent for course work and subsequent years for completing the steps for leading to the award of doctoral thesis.
Course work and Registration:
Every candidate soon after successful completion of the Course Work shall apply in the prescribed format along with the prescribed fee and a detailed draft research proposal and based on pre-registration, the candidate can register with the University.
ENTRANCE TEST AND INTERVIEW (ET&I) FOR Ph.D. REGISTRATION
- The eligible candidates are required to apply to the COE in the prescribed format (Appendix-I), available from the office of the COE or which can be downloaded from the University website www.nou.nic.in. The completed application must be submitted to the office of the Controller of Examinations, by registered post or by hand, along with the requisite fee (Table 1) in the form of account payee bank draft drawn in favour of the Comptroller of Finance, North Orissa University, payable at Baripada.
- All eligible candidates will be intimated by the COE to appear the ET & I. ET&I will be conducted at least once in a year, if sufficient numbers of applications are available.
- A merit list of successful candidates, prepared on the basis of performance in ET&I, shall be published by the COE. The successful candidates shall be intimated by the COE immediately.
PRE-Ph.D. COURSEWORK (PPC)
- All candidates including exempted candidates are required to apply in the prescribed form (Appendix-II), which shall be available from the office of the COE or can be downloaded from the University website www.nou.nic.in, for admission into PPC after depositing the requisite fee (Table 1) in the form of account payee bank draft drawn in favour of the Comptroller of Finance, North Orissa University, payable at Baripada.
- Each candidate has to undertake a Pre-Ph.D. coursework (PPC) of one semester (six months) at Asian school of Business Management,Bhubaneswar.
- Attendance: A candidate shall be required to attend at least 75% of the lectures and practical classes taken separately.
- After the completion of the PPC, examination shall be organized by the Controller of Examinations of the University at the centres decided by the University. The mode of examination for theory shall include written examination at the end of the PPC. Duration of examination for each theory paper (05 credits) shall be of 3 hours. The candidates shall have to answer 5 questions one from each unit. Duration of the practical examinations shall be 6 hours. The answer scripts will be evaluated by internal examiners. However, the COE may send any paper to be evaluated by outside examiners. To pass PPC, a student has to secure at least 50% marks in aggregate.
- Hard Case (For theory only): A maximum of 2% grace mark shall be awarded in one or more theory paper(s) only in order to enable a candidate to pass the Pre-Ph.D. Examination. A candidate who is otherwise eligible to appear in the examination but fails in the same or fails to appear in the examination or wants to improve performance can reappear the same examination as an ex-student not more than twice within three years of his/her admission into the said course.
- The results of the examination shall be published by the Controller of Examinations of the University, which shall valid for one year from the date of notification regarding publication results.
PRESENTATION OF SYNOPSIS
- An eligible candidate, after successful completion of the PPC from North Orissa University, shall apply, within 15 days from the day of publication of result, for presentation of the synopsis in the prescribed form (Appendix-III), which shall be available from the office of the COE or can be downloaded from the University website www.nou.nic.in. The completed application must be submitted in the office of the COE, by registered post or by hand, along with the requisite fee (Table 1) in the form of account payee bank draft drawn in favour of the Comptroller of Finance, North Orissa University, payable at Baripada.
- The COE shall convene the Subject Research Committee (SRC) on date(s) approved by the Vice-Chancellor. Letters to the persons concerned be communicated by the COE. All SRC meetings shall be coordinated by the Controller of Examinations/the person authorized by the COE.
- 4.3 Applications for Ph.D. registration shall be placed before the SRC. A candidate has to give a presentation in support of her/his proposed work. The presentation shall include objective of the work, review of literature, materials and methods to be used, possible outcome of the proposed work and tentative time frame.
- In addition to SRC members, faculty of PG Department and faculty of allied subjects, those who are interested, may attend this presentation. It is the responsibility of the candidate to invite her/his supervisor(s) to remain present at the time of his synopsis presentation. If any SRC member is the supervisor, s/he shall not participate in the decision making of her/his candidate.
- The SRC may accept, suggest necessary changes or reject any application. If the SRC recommends a candidate for registration, the candidate must be informed, in writing, by the COE within 60 days of presentation of synopsis.
- The SRC shall record the suggestions/suggested changes/ reasons of rejection to the COE. If the SRC recommends for revision of synopsis, the candidate is required to resubmit a revised synopsis to the Controller of Examinations. If the candidate fails to resubmit the revised synopsis within the schedule time, as suggested by SRC, it shall be construed that the applicant is no more interested to pursue the proposed degree under the University. After receiving the revised synopsis, the COE shall forward the same to the person as suggested by the SRC, who will take a decision on acceptance or rejection of the revised synopsis. The entire process has to be completed within 60 days from the date of presentation of synopsis. In case the SRC rejects the synopsis and does not recommend for registration, the same shall be communicated by the COE to the candidate, in writing, with reasons. Further, the candidate may apply afresh for fresh presentation if s/he desires.
APPLICATION FOR REGISTRATION:
- An eligible candidate, after successful presentation of the synopsis, shall apply for Ph.D. registration in the prescribed form (Appendix-IV), which shall be available from the office of the COE or can be downloaded from the University website www.nou.nic.in. The completed application must be submitted in the office of the COE, by registered post or by hand, along with the requisite fee (Table 1) in the form of account payee bank draft drawn in favour of the Comptroller of Finance, North Orissa University, payable at Baripada.
- The candidate shall give an undertaking that s/he has not been registered for Ph. D. under North Orissa University or any other University. However, if a person has already been awarded a Ph. D, s/he may apply for a new registration in a different subject if otherwise eligible.
- At least one of the supervisors and/or the scholar must be within the administrative/ academic jurisdiction of North Orissa University.
- The date of registration shall be from the date of application in Appendix-III.
VALIDITY OF REGISTRATION
- The registration shall remain valid for 5 years from the date of registration.
- A candidate who becomes unable to submit thesis within 5 years of registration is required to apply for extension. The candidate has to apply in the appropriate form (Appendix-V), which shall be available from the office of the COE or can be downloaded from the University website www.nou.nic.in, along with the requisite fee (Table 1),n