B. Des (Fashion)
Fashion Design is the applied art devoted to designing of clothing and life style accessories. It is a very lucrative, appealing, glamorous and exciting career option in today’s market. The industry requires appropriate people with creativity as well as managerial skills. It is steadily growing over the past few years.
The fashion industry employs about 105 million people directly and indirectly. In view of its future scope and development, the industry need additional 15 million people and an investment of Rs.35,000 crores in terms of related infrastructure. The fashion industry constitutes designers, manufacturers, exporters, suppliers, stockiest and wholesalers .
On this backdrop, Asian School of Business Management is introducing a new 4-year Bachelor Degree Course ‘Bachelor of Design (Fashion) – B.Des (Fashion) recognized by Govt. of Odisha and affiliated to Utkal University. It is expected to offer bright career prospect.
The Bachelor of Design (Fashion) is a full-time professional degree programme. The duration will be four years spread over eight semesters. After successful completion of the programme, students will be awarded B. Des (Fashion) Degree.
ADMISSION - B. Des. (Fashion)
Eligibility Criteria for Admission
Minimum qualification for admission to the first year B. Des (Fashion) shall be qualifying Higher Secondary School Certificate Examination (10+2) scheme in any stream from a recognized Board/ University.
Admission to the Third Semester (Lateral Entry to 2nd Year) will be available to candidates who have passed the Diploma course in related branch of Design, or equivalent. B.A. passed with applied Art or equivalent from recognized University, shall also be eligible for admission to third semester of B. Des (Fashion) course under lateral entry scheme.
Non-Resident India (NRI) / PIO / Foreign candidates shall also be eligible for admission to B. Des (Fashion) in accordance with the prevailing norms/ directives, provided they satisfy the criteria of Admission Procedure.
Application Form and Prospectus are available at the corporate office/ Campus on a payment of Rs. 300/- in cash or by means of Demand Draft/ Banker’s Cheque favouring “Asian School of Business Management”.The Applicants can fill up the form online (www. Asbm.ac.in).
The selection will be based solely on merit without any consideration for any caste, creed, community, gender or religion.
Selection / Admission of an applicant shall be invalidated in case of suppression of fact, submission of incorrect information, forging of documents, etc, if detected before, during or after the selection / Admission.
The selected applicants shall have to deposit the registration and / or other fees by the stipulated date, failing which their selection / Admission will stand invalid. In case a student has paid the registration fee in time but delays payment of the other fees/ installment beyond the stipulated date, the registration fees so paid will stand forfeited and the student will have no claim for admission.
The B. Des (Fashion) course will be in semester system and shall consist of eight semesters.
Total credit of the course for the entire eight semesters will be 200, i.e., average 25 credits per semester.
As it is a course with immense practical importance, the ratio of theory to practical will be approximately 50:50.
The course will be based on choice based credit systems (CBCS).
The 8th semester will comprise of either project work in the institute or industrial internship on a specific project for at least 4 months.
Courses offered at B. Des (Fashion)
Semester – I
- History of Art & Fashion
- Basics of Design
- Textiles Science-I
- Communication skills English-I
- Design Practice
- Visualization & Representation Practice-I
- Communication Skill English-I
- Basic Stitching Laboratory
- Computer Application-I Laboratory
Semester – II
- Basics of Design & Development
- Textiles Science-II
- Sewing Techniques
- Communication Skills English-II
- Design & Development Practice
- Visualization & Representation Techniques-II
- Communication Skill English-II
- Sewing Practice Laboratory
- Computer Application-II Laboratory
- Crafts Project
Semester – III
- Principles of Management
- Indian Traditional Textiles
- Fabric Construction Design
- Pattern making & Grading
- Computer aided Design Laboratory
- Pattern making-I laboratory
- Draping-I Laboratory
- Garment Construction-I Laboratory
- Fashion Illustration-I
- Design Development
Semester – IV
- Marketing and Merchandising Management
- Indian and Western costumes
- Introduction to Fashion Industry
- Fashion Forecasting
- Surface ornamentation & Embroidery Laboratory
- Pattern Making-II Laboratory
- Draping-II Laboratory
- Garment Construction-II Laboratory
- Fashion Illustration-II
- Design & Development-I Men’s wear
- Industrial Internship
Semester – V
- Fashion and Textile Retailing
- Textile & Garment Testing
- Fashion Accessories
- Garment Production Machinery & Equipments
- Textile & Garment Testing Laboratory
- Creative pattern making Laboratory
- Grading Laboratory
- Fashion Illustration-III
- Design & Development-II: Ladies wear
- Design & Development-III: Teen wear
Semester – VI
- Knitwear manufacture
- Chemical Processing of Garments
- Apparel Production planning & control
- Knitwear Manufacture Laboratory
- Computer aided Fashion Design Laboratory
- Advance Draping Laboratory
- Chemical Processing of Garments Laboratory
- Industrial Internship
- Design & Development-IV: Corporate/Western wear
- Design & development-V: Kids wear
Semester – VII
- Export Marketing & Documentation
- Fashion Stylization
- Costume Design and Development
- Portfolio Development
- Fashion Stylization
- Design & Development-VI: Sports/Knit wear
- Design & Development-VII: Bridal/Ethnic wear
Semester – VIII
- Fashion Product Development project
There will be one term end University Examination at the end of each semester.
The examination at the end of each semester will consist of theory and practical. These semester examinations will generally be held in November-December and April-May in each year.
No student shall be allowed to take the term-end semester Examination unless one has:
- Attended at least 75% of lectures/practical delivered.
- Paid all the fees due
- Obtained ‘No Dues’ certificates.
- Submitted the job Internship Certificate / Project report, if required in the scheme of examination.
- Received in Plant/Practical training as prescribed by the University.
Clause above shall not be applicable to the private / Ex-candidates.
Promotion to Higher Semester and Year
A candidate who has been admitted in the B. Des (Fashion) programme will be promoted to the higher class in accordance with the following sub rules:
- A candidate, who has taken admission in odd semester and has appeared in the examination of odd semester of a particular year, will automatically be promoted to even semester of that year irrespective of failing in any number of subjects of previous semester.
- A candidate may provisionally continue to attend next higher year, even if the result of qualifying year/ semester has not been declared. However, if he/she is not able to clear the qualifying semester examination subsequently, the candidate cannot claim any right on the basis of his/her provisional admission.
- A candidate shall not be admitted in the fifth or higher semester classes unless he/she has fully passed the first year examination with minimum of CGPA of 5.0. likewise a candidate shall not be admitted in the seventh or higher semester classes unless he/she fully passed first and second year examination with minimum CGPA of 5.0.
Award of Division
Division shall be awarded only after the final semester examination based on integrated performance of the candidate for all the semesters of the programme.
The division will be awarded as per the examination scheme as recommended by the board of studies and faculty and approved by academic council as per the directive/regulations of UGC from time to time.
Fashion Product development project